How to Create More Usable Space in Your Bedroom
by Patricia Butler 08/21/2019
If you have a bedroom that is not too big on space, it can quickly leave you feeling crowded and cramped up, which may even have psychological effects on you. There are ways to maximize the available space you have to help your bedroom feel roomy.
- Reduce the size of your bed and storage furniture.It goes without saying that if you want to create more space in your bedroom, then you are going to have to reduce the size of the most significant furniture in that same room. If your bed takes up as much as half of the size of your room, then you know it's too big. You can make use of storage that you can roll under your bed for space.
- Reduce clutter in your bedroom. Many times, there's ample space in a room, but it's just hidden by the mounds of clothing, shoes and other items that you have refused to arrange. Declutter your bedroom, throw away the things that you no longer use, or give them away. Always keep your clothes neatly folded and your shoes arranged in place. Neatly organize your personal items and fashion accessories in your wardrobes.
- Maximize storage. You can decide to install shelves just below the ceiling and use it to save items that you don’t use regularly. When you need to access them, a step ladder will come in handy and do the work. Move every storage space off the floor and on to the walls to create more space. You may install floor to ceiling dressers and use the extra space for more items. You can even turn any empty wall corner into a clothes rack with the construction of a simple clothes hanger.
- Use the back of the door. The back of the door can become a prime spot for storing items that were previously on the floor. You can ditch your sizable plastic laundry basket that takes up a lot of space and opt for a foldable leather bag that you can hang from the back of the wall and store your laundry in it.
- Create space from your bed. Get a headboard with built-in storage space like a bookshelf or a bed frame with inbuilt drawers. You can store books, magazines and CD records in areas like this.
You can find options on building more storage into your bed from your local hardware store.